Monday, November 26, 2007

It's time for a change

In a previous post, I wrote about my body weight cycle from shore duty to sea duty. Every sea duty, my weight has slowly climbed to an embarrassing maximum. Every shore duty, I get back into the habit of going to the gym every day and get my weight back down to my college weight.

Well, I've been living in a state of denial. While claiming to have embraced the culture of fitness and doing a lot of physical exercise, I have not been eating well. I've been in denial about my metabolism changing as I get older. Although the physical exercise has done me well and I was pleased with my PRT results (in terms of pushups, situps, and run time), I have not been watching what I eat, so my weight has stayed the same (and a lot higher than I would like it to be).

Well, over this Thanksgiving weekend, I gained 2 pounds (have I mentioned how much I love pecan pie?), and I crossed a threshold / imaginary line on the scale that I didn't want to cross. I decided I really need to change my eating habits and get my weight down.

So I decided to join Weight Watchers. WW now has an online program for men. One of the first things that flashed across the home page was:
BEER CHEAT SHEET:

Drink beer and still lose weight (really)
I like this already.

All joking aside, I really do like some of the tools that they offer on the WW website. For instance, I find that keeping a log of the food I eat really helps raise my level of awareness about my intake and to stop "grazing" or snacking so much.

We'll see how it goes. I stole the workout log thing on the right side of my blog from Sam's blog. Now I need to find an html thing to keep track of my weight-loss progress, too. WW wants you to weigh yourself once per week to track your progress, so next Monday, I'll post my first week's results.

My hope is that by going public here on my blog, I'm committing myself to getting it done so I can report the positive results here for all to read.

2 comments:

Celia said...

Best of luck to you. I'm a member of WW online now, and I've been pretty happy with it so far.

JoLee said...

Speedo on 12/26/2007!!! You don't laugh @ mine and I won't laugh @ yours. Aging is a bitch! Wait until the day after you turn 40... all kinds of cruel things happen to you.
xxoo