Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mortgage Fiasco Follow-Up

Thanks to those of you who have offered your feedback, advice, sympathy, and support on the mortgage issue.

I spent a good amount of time on the phone with a manager at the Big Name Bank (BNB) on Friday. She ran the numbers again and this time it came out $1,200 higher than the initial Good Faith Estimate (GFE). She was effusively thankful for our many years of being loyal customers to BNB and in order to keep our business, she offered us 0.XX points off our loan, which amounted to $962. So with that discount, we'll end up paying about $250 more in closing costs than what the GFE said, so it'll still be in the ballpark of $2,000 less than the Local Mortgage Broker's offer. I told her that would be acceptable, because I understand it's an "estimate" and there will be SOME variability in the final results.

Now, we're anxiously watching the mortgage rates and waiting. We can't lock in our rate until 30 days from closing (our closing date is 29 August) without paying a fee. We're hoping the rates take a little dip later this week.

Here's a snapshot looking out the back window of our new house...

No comments: