Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thank You Thursday

I don't know if it'll stick, but I had a couple of things to say thanks for, so I thought I'd make it my post for Thursday.

We had our Cub Scout Pack meeting a couple of nights ago. We started off with the flag ceremony.


Then we gave out awards. Congrats to ES who earned his Astronomy belt loop and his Swimming activity pin this week.


My first note of thanks tonight goes out to Boutiki for their very generous donation to our Cub Scout Pack. We took a photo of our pack to say thank you to Boutiki.


I'm not sure why the turnout was so light. We normally have about twice as many scouts at our pack meetings.

After the group photo, we had our usual baked goods raffle. My second note of thanks goes to LW for baking the cookies that we took for the raffle. I'm not sure why I bother carrying the baked goods over there though. I buy a few raffle tickets for a few bucks, ES's number gets called, and ES always ends up picking out exactly what LW baked. I could save us the hassle of carrying it over there and back to the house again if I just gave the few bucks I normally pay for the raffle tickets to the pack. At least tonight someone else took the cookies that LW baked before they called ES's number. ES was distraught that he couldn't pick out LW's cookies and had to choose some brownies instead.

After the raffle, we went inside the community center for a special treat. We had a magician by the name of Magic Mark. His show was half silly childish comedy and half simple magic, but he was great with the kids. So my third note of thanks goes to both Magic Mark for a good show and to our Cub Master for setting it up for our pack meeting.

He "hid" the wad of toilet paper in his mouth. J wasn't fooled and is pointing to where Magic Mark "hid" it. Much to all our surprise, when he started pulling it OUT of his mouth, he pulled out NOT a wad of toilet paper, but a long string of colored handkerchiefs. For some reason the camera was taking a long time to save and recharge in between pictures, so I didn't get a picture of the colored handkerchiefs coming out of his mouth.

All in all, we had a great time at the Cub Scout Pack Meeting this week.

BT BT

My last note of thanks goes to some random people at the Navy Exchange last week. One of our visiting friends from the mainland was a former submariner. He was a diesel boat guy and earned his fish back in the days when you had to do the two ascents in the dive tower. The dive tower has since been converted into a nice conference room facility, but there are historic photos all around the conference room. He was really excited when I took him to see the top of the dive tower and one of the historic photos was of his old boat, USS TIRU (SS-416).


At one point we all went shopping at the NEX, but Mr. R didn't want to do any shopping, so he just sat on a bench in the grand foyer of the NEX. I felt a little bad that we had just left him there sitting all alone and bored, but when we met back up with him, he was just glowing.

He was wearing a ballcap and shirt from one of his USS TIRU reunions. Several guys had seen his hat and stopped to talk to him about his time on diesel boats. It made his day to be able to share some sea stories with other bubbleheads. So I send a sincere thank you out to those few people who noticed the lone submarine veteran sitting on the bench and took the time to stop and talk with him. It really meant a lot to him and was undoubtedly one of the highlights of his vacation in Hawaii.

4 comments:

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Great idea for saying thanks.

I am still laughing about ES always picking out what you take for the raffle. He's a loyal son :)

Anonymous said...

Thats funny...and awesome about ES wanting his moms' goods! How cute! Can't say I blame him, the food pix you've posted that've come out of your kitchen are drool worthy!

How great about your veteran friend. Its people and times like that that soften the day to day!

And I think Thank You Thursday is a great idea!

Jamie said...

those cub scouts are so adorable!

Sagey said...

And Thank You to Grammy for travelling 6K miles to watch the boys so we could go to the Sub Ball!
:-)