Saturday, August 14, 2010

Paddle Log #17: Lake Winnipesaukee around Sandy Island

In order to get some exercise each morning here on vacation, I've been alternating jogging and kayaking. My goal has been to keep my heart rate elevated for an hour each morning.  Friday morning I jogged 5 miles around the neighborhood here by the lake shore.  Saturday morning I went kayaking down around Sandy Island and back.  Sunday morning I jogged 4.8 miles (up and down some hills inland instead of near the lake shore).  Monday I kayaked 6.7 miles around Long Island (that'll be paddle log #18).

Sandy Island shoreline
This paddle log entry is just for Saturday's trip down around Sandy Island and back. I was mainly focused on keeping a steady pace and keeping my heart rate up, but I do love the scenery on the lake.

Stats for the paddle log:
  • Date: 14 August 2010
  • Time In: 9:30 a.m.
  • Time Out: 10:52 a.m.
  • Elapsed: 1 hour 22 min
  • Moving Time (GPS):  1 hr 18 minutes
    Stopped Time (GPS):  4 minutes
  • Mileage: 4.32 miles by GPS
  • Sea State: 0
  • Winds: 0-5 knots - just an occasional light breeze
  • Air Temp: 72 going up to 75 degrees.
  • Water Temp: 75.7F digital / 73.5F IR
  • Current:   None
  • Gauge Height:   ~503 feet (above sea level, not depth of water).  
Level in the lake is a little low this summer.
  • Avg Speed (GPS):   3.3 mph
  • Max Speed by (GPS):   4.4 mph
  • Rapids?  None. 
  • Hazards?  Occasional high speed motor boats and jet skis.
  • Kit: Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL. Flop hat, sunglasses, NRS paddling gloves. Long sleeve shirt, swim trunks, Keen sandals.
  • Configuration: Just me in the center seat of the kayak.  Both boys stayed home.
  • Route:  Put-in at Jonathon's Landing on Long Island, paddled south around Sandy Island and back to Jonathon's Landing again.    

  • Other comments (such as wildlife spotted): None.

No comments: