Thursday, June 9, 2011

DC Gouge: New Submarine Exhibit Opening at Navy Museum

If you're in DC and you've never been to the Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard, then I highly recommend checking it out.

My youngest son on the periscope in the Navy Museum

Soon there will be even more cool stuff to see at the museum.  I just received this from the DC Naval Submarine League:

The submarine exhibit “Covert Submarine Operations” will be dedicated by the Naval Historical Foundation on Saturday, 18 June at the Washington Navy Yard Museum.  The event is open to all connected with the Submarine Force and Naval Submarine League.  The attached invitation (email me if you want a copy of the invite) provides the details and a map of the WNY with directions to the Cold War Gallery museum.  Spouse/friends are included in the invitation.

(Event is past - so I removed the RSVP data)

The exhibit contains most of the artifacts from the Smithsonian’s “Fast Attack and Boomers” exhibit that was opened in 2000 as part of the Submarine Force Centennial celebration and is the first major exhibit in the Museum’s new Cold War Gallery.

If I were still in DC, then I know where I would be going next Saturday! 

2 comments:

Jay said...

Sorry I haven't been religiously blogging lately (all Twitter, all the time). What are you doing out there?

Tabor said...

I HAVE BEEN on travel and missed this post. but I think our non-military family might enjoy this museum as well. That area of town i had only visited when my nephew was stationed there as a marine and it is a littel scary to navigate.